Right Accoutns

Right Accounts provide professional taxation and accounting services at fixed prices in the UK.


Phone: 0113 323 5783


Unfairly treated by HMRC? Make a complaint!

29/09/2017 07:44 pm

There is no institution that doesn't make mistakes and HMRC is no exception. There are numerous cases when HMRC caused distress to taxpayers by wrongly demanding underpaid tax, overpaid benefits or poorly handled their affairs. If you are one of the unlucky ones and have faced unfair treatment by HMRC, you can make a complaint. In this article you will find information how you can do that.

Make a complaint to HMRC

So, the taxman treated your affairs poorly and you are ready to complain? This is what you should do first:

  • look for the closest tax office
  • find the name of the complaints manager and contact them
  • provide the complaints manager with your NI number and the reference number that the HMRC representative used when contacting you
  • explain your situation, what went wrong and what action you would like HMRC to take.

Response time

HMRC has an obligation to issue a response within 15 days.

Not happy with the response? You have more options

The response that you received does not satisfy you? Not all is lost, you still have a few options:

  1. Contact a senior officer, previously not involved with your case, and ask to reevalute your case and the response you were given.
  2. If communication with the senior office also does not get you anywhere, you can contact Adjudicator’s free complaints service. But keep in mind that you can make a case here only if you had previously made a complain to HMRC.
  3. If you are still unhappy after Adjudicator’s complaints service‘s verdict, you can then complain to Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

Complaining on behalf of someone else

It is possible to make a complain on behalf of someone else. Therefore, if you feel you need help, you can have a complaint made on your behalf by:

  • a friend
  • a relative
  • a professional adviser
  • a representatives of voluntary organisations

Also, keep in mind that Right Accounts is always there to help! Contact us and we will help you to make a complaint and maybe even get you some money back.